For a complete list of How To's follow this link.
If you're looking for something else,
check out the LABELs drop down menu.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Back up your blogger template

Don't forget to make a back up of your Blogger template before making any changes. I can't stress this enough. Trust me, I made quite a few mistakes since I started blogging and even now I can forget.

To make a backup of the template, you need to:

1) Log in to Blogger
2) Select the blog you wish to back up from the DASHBOARD
3) Open the TEMPLATE
4) Right click your mouse over the template and SELECT ALL
5) Right click your mouse again and COPY the highlighted text
6) Open NOTEPAD on your PC
7) Paste the copied text into the Notepad document
8) Save

This will now be your back up document. If you accidentally muck up the live template in blogger, you can simply retrieve the copied template from Notepad and paste it back into your blogger blog. Please don't paste the text into WORD. It will change parts of the coding within the template and basically cause more problems. Stick with a text editor such as Notepad. I'm sure there are other similar products out there if you don't have Notepad.

If you have more than one blog, I would suggest that when you save the backup, you identify which blog it is. For example:

1) backup - 050506 CUB
2) backup - 050506 K1B2

When I back up my 'Coming up Blank' blog I type the initials next to the date. The same goes for the 'Knit1BlogToo' blog. It's probably a bit anal but it's basic file maintenance, and if you're going to save a copy you might as well be able to find it quickly.

No comments: